Thursday 27 February 2014

Helping Someone When They're Lost

Today I was plucked from deep concentration by an alarmed gasp from Laura, 'Quick Amanda we have to help this poor girl!" Dashing down the stairs, I followed in pursuit to be met with a small, confused looking Asian girl at the front door. Unfortunately she was unable to speak much English - so conversing with her and similarly trying to help her was made difficult. After a few short moments we discovered she was lost - and was looking for her new apartment. Taking her key and lease documents we led her to the correct apartment and made sure she was okay. She thanked us repeatedly, pushing her hands together and bowing at us. Such a small, kind deed (which took us little then 5 minutes) managed to make her day just that little bit easier. Laura and I then later reflected upon how hard it must be being faced with such adversity - not being able to understand or communicate well in a new, unfamiliar environment. In the evening I was walking home from my lecture, admiring the sweet pastel colors mixing in sky to be met with the same girl, tucked under her (what appeared to be) boyfriends arm. As we drew closer our eyes met and she beamed at me with a huge smile - nodding at me in appreciation. I instantly smiled back and was filled with an overwhelming happiness. The fact that I was able to help someone today - to lift just a little pressure off someones shoulders - was a positive.


Always, 
A

No comments:

Post a Comment